Friday, November 7, 2008

The Fly at The Brattle


So I got to the Kendall tonight to find out that My Name is Bruce was sold out...for the entire night! I mean are you fucking kidding me? I love Bruce Campbell as much as anyone, but sold out three hours before the show? Trying to make the most of a spoiled night, I had my roommate drop me off at The Brattle to check out the original version of The Fly. The Fly is a B-movie or so The Brattle has it billed as such. It really isn't a B-movie. The acting is too good. The directing is solid. The movie takes itself entirely seriously and tries to create suspense throughout as to what happened Andre Delambra. The basic plot is similar to the remake; a man is working on a teleportation machine and he accidentally gets his molecules mixed up with a fly. Unlike Cronenberg's Fly which focuses on the transformation of Seth Brundle, this version focuses more on the mystery of what happened to Andre and the ramifications that his change has on his family. The ending is iconic. I won't spoil it. I had an idea of what it was going to be, but the way Kurt Neumann directs it supercedes any expectations that I may have had. It is both perverse and horrific. And I fucking loved it! I almost am glad I missed My Name is Bruce. The Fly is an excellent movie that I was completely immersed in because of surprising acting and directing.

No comments: